Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Frustrated with a captial F

I'm not sure I want to go into the whole story (it's a bit long). Suffice it to say, I nearly quit one of my singing jobs today. Quite a few months ago, I asked for a raise and was told by my music director (CJ) that I deserved one. CJ said he would go to the pastor and ask for one on my behalf. You might be wondering why I didn't go to the boss. Well, this priest can be a bit Machiavellian. In addition, I know for a fact that two other people went directly to him and were turned down. So, I decided that maybe my chances would be better if I went through CJ, the music director.

It's possible you're thinking "Well, she works for the church. Some of what she does should be considered tithing." And, trust me, I'm not paid much. It's just something to help pay for gas and put some groceries on the table for my family. I also hold myself to high standards. My position as a cantor in church is very visible, therefore I must always dress appropriately and be well-prepared (even for pieces that are not pre-planned).

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been singing at this particular church for 12 years and have never gotten an increase, not even for cost of living. Having heard nothing, I wanted to follow up with CJ (making sure I wasn't forgotten). I waited and waited (for months), last night my husband flat out told me to give CJ my 2 weeks notice. He said, "Forget about Easter. This is ridiculous." I think that was the push I needed. This morning I left a message he should call me. CJ can be a bit passive-aggressive, so I made a point of saying "We need to talk, sooner rather than later." After I left the message I was so sick. (I have a sensitive stomach and don't eat anything when I'm stressed. I can't.) I needed to wrap my head around the idea that I may no longer be singing at that church that I've worked so hard at and lost precious time with my family. By the time he called me back, I had accepted that idea and I'd be done. To make a long story short (or even longer), CJ apparently cornered the pastor earlier today (convenient and coincidental? hmm) Anyway, he got some specific information regarding my raise. So, presumably I AM getting a raise, effective April 1st. How much? I don't know. Only time will tell.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Go YOU!!!

Well done Joyce -Anne, that was GREAT.xx

Tara R. said...

Good for you!

Unknown said...

We already talked about this, but you know that I'm not holding my breath. When's Easter? It almost seems like CJ is stalling to make sure you ARE covering Easter masses.

Joyce-Anne said...

Natalie- Thanks, though it hasn't happened yet. So, we'll see.

Tara- Patience is a virtue - I hope it pays off. Pun intended :)

Sue- Truthfully, I'm a bit nervous. I like to think that CJ isn't that savvy and isn't lying to me. However, my fingers are crossed, at least, until I see some memo or information regarding this. You can be darn sure that if I don't hear by 4/1 - CJ will hear about it and quite probably screw himself regarding coverage for Easter masses.

Momisodes said...

As stressful this has been, I am so glad you put your foot down. Good for you. I hope they compensate you appropriately and fairly.

Joyce-Anne said...

Sandy- I hope so too. It's nearly a week later and still haven't heard anything. Argh!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Good for you for standing up for yourself. I hope it works out the way you need it to.