Tuesday, January 13, 2009

History repeats itself

Ahh, the children are sleeping. Peace. at. last. I made a huge mistake tonight. Instead of having the two older children do their homework within 30 minutes of being home from school, I let them watch tv. BIG MISTAKE. Note to self - Never, EVER do that again. Once the kids have relaxed for awhile, they are no longer motivated to do anything. So, it was like pulling teeth to get them started. Fortunately, they are not studying rocket science. It's kindergarten and second grade work. For these two, it's easy enough to accomplish. You know the strange thing is, I've done this before, let them *hang out* without doing homework and I swore I'd never do it again. Yet I did. Maybe this time, I'll wise up.

The lovely Suzanne from www.Suzannesez.blogspot.com has given me an Honest Scrap award. Once I figure out how to get the award over here to this blog (the techie I am not) and I figure out 10 things about myself to share with the blog world - I will write them. I think I have 5 things now, I just need to come up with 5 more. Hopefully, I'll be able to write them and post it in another day or so.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh the dreaded homework wars - I know them so well. Wait until high school, GROAN. xx

Unknown said...

Ah yes. The constant struggle to get the homework done. And yes, the best time is just as the get home from school. Sit down. Get it done. Of course, the other phrase you will get to at one point or another is, "This is supposed to be YOUR homework, not mine."

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

You'll figure it out. That's the best part of parenting. You can learn and change it up a bit.

Grandy said...

Ha! Here's the thing. When you think about letting the kids relax and watch TV before homework, you will now remember the blog post about it. Writing it down does help. :)

Tara R. said...

Ahh... the old TV or no TV debate. It's doesn't get easier to get them re-motivated when they get older either. Stick to your guns MOM. Good luck!