Monday, January 26, 2009

A Day at the Spa

For those of you who don't know, I sing at church. I am very fortunate to get paid doing something I love to do. However, sometimes it becomes a drag. There are a few weekends that I give up a lot of family time and it can be difficult as well as frustrating. Those are the weekends I feel pulled in several directions. It's not easy being a full-time mother and part-time employee. I give a great deal of credit to all those working mothers who manage to "do it all" for their children.

On Sunday, all that changed. Well, it did for the afternoon. I went to a retreat for musicians. When you sing 3 (or more) masses on a single weekend, church becomes almost like a factory. My mindset goes to "what's next". I'm always preparing for the next song or prayer. Since I am close to the inner workings of the church, sometimes I think I am too close. Without saying too much, let's just say, not all priests are nice people. They are human and also can make mistakes. But, as I said, on Sunday afternoon, my life changed for a little while anyway.

The speaker was entertaining and motivating. But, what I enjoyed the most, it seems was the quiet time offered to us. For those 30 minutes, I wasn't a wife, or a mother, I was a regular person just looking (and receiving) for peace. It was nice to interact with other people from my church as well as other musicians from our area. I think my afternoon was like a trip to the spa, without the expense. I returned home refreshed, renewed and able to take on the week ahead.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

That is excellent! I think sometimes that we, and those around us,forget that mothers are people too. :D Good for you!

Unknown said...

That you could actually enjoy, without having to worry about doing your job is a great thing!

Grandy said...

It's nice to have a time-out every now and again.

Bama Cheryl said...

Glad you had a chance to unwind. And while getting involved in church is great, you're right that finding out the inner workings can be more than a little disillusioning. Our pastoral associate (a woman) said to me recently, "I could never work at the diocese, they're way too dysfunctional." Funny. Interesting perspective.

Momisodes said...

That sounds wonderful. So glad you were able to find this time for yourself. Sometimes it is exactly what mothers really need to refuel and recharge all that you do.

Unknown said...

Always good to find that place that gives one ease. And now the question that must be asked - How have you liked your first month of blogging?